Lectures

Other Dementias and Delirium

by Georgina Cornwall, PhD
(1)

Questions about the lecture
My Notes
  • Required.
Save Cancel
    Learning Material 2
    • PDF
      Slides 02 AnomaliesAgingBrainAlzeheimerDementia Aging.pdf
    • PDF
      Download Lecture Overview
    Report mistake
    Transcript
    We’ve covered Alzheimer’s and said that that’s about 60% of all dementias but what about the other 20 to 40%? Can you think of any other dementias? Let’s take a quick look at a number of different kinds. You don’t need to know them in as much detail as you need to understand Alzheimer’s but there are a number of different kinds of dementias. Vascular dementia, this one pretty much makes sense because we have some kind of blockage whether it’s an acute stroke or a progressive blockage of a vessel. Decreased oxygen levels lend themselves to cells dying off and thus decrease synoptic connections and perhaps dementia developing. Another type is Lewy body dementia. This one you definitely need to be familiar with. We’ll talk about Lewy body specifically in a later lecture. I will say though we don’t really understand how the Lewy bodies work. But again, it’s an aggregation of proteins, so broken protein structures causing this aggregation interrupting signaling. We see Parkinson’s disease dementia. Now, Parkinson’s disease as we’ll learn in another lecture is predominantly a movement disorder. However, in the later stages, Parkinson’s will develop its own form of dementia which, you know, it’s going to look fairly like Alzheimer’s. Then there’s a fourth kind of dementia that stands out there which is frontotemporal dementia that actually doesn’t really go any further than that. So we see symptoms associated with degradation of the frontal and temporal lobes. Again, you don’t need to know specific details of each of these. Just be familiar that these are four other kinds of dementia that we see in addition to Alzheimer’s disease. I want to bring this up because often in practice, you will see or maybe not often, but you’ll see patients come in that are acting as...

    About the Lecture

    The lecture Other Dementias and Delirium by Georgina Cornwall, PhD is from the course Aging. It contains the following chapters:

    • Other dementias
    • Delirium

    Included Quiz Questions

    1. Alcohol withdrawal
    2. Vascular
    3. Lewy body
    4. Parkinson's disease
    5. Alzheimer's disease
    1. Vascular
    2. Hyperglycemic
    3. Hyperthyroidism induced
    4. Infectious
    5. Drug withdrawal
    1. Dementia and delirium are both reversible with the appropriate treatment.
    2. Dementia is typically a neurodegenerative process, while delirium typically is not.
    3. Dementia is progressive in onset, while delirium has acute onset.
    4. Dementia is not reversible, while delirium typically is reversible.
    5. Dementia and delirium are both associated with changes in mental state.
    1. Accumulation of abnormal protein aggregates within neurons
    2. Drug or alcohol withdrawal
    3. Drug or alcohol intoxication
    4. Acute systemic infection (sepsis)
    5. Dehydration

    Author of lecture Other Dementias and Delirium

     Georgina Cornwall, PhD

    Georgina Cornwall, PhD


    Customer reviews

    (1)
    5,0 of 5 stars
    5 Stars
    5
    4 Stars
    0
    3 Stars
    0
    2 Stars
    0
    1  Star
    0