Lectures

Urea Cycle and Collecting Duct

by Thad Wilson, PhD
(1)

Questions about the lecture
My Notes
  • Required.
Save Cancel
    Learning Material 2
    • PDF
      Slides 04 Reabsorption2 UrinarySystem.pdf
    • PDF
      Download Lecture Overview
    Report mistake
    Transcript
    Now, these particular transporters also do one other thing besides move water - they can move urea. Urea can move across the apical membrane and then across the basolateral membrane. But these UT-A1 receptors are sensitive to arginine vasopressin. So once arginine vasopressin binds, it causes these protein phosphorylation cascade, -which up regulates the UT-A1s to allow urea to enter across the apical membrane, and then the UT receptors on the basolateral membrane are now regulated but then they allow urea to travel out the [outside] into the interstitial space, and eventually picked up by the blood. The urea that's left in the renal tubule is then excreted out of the body. Now urea is an interesting molecule because it does a few thing for us. It adds to the osmolality that occurs between the cortex of the kidney to the medullary region. A lot of the urea is reabsorbed in the proximal tubule - about 50%. And this occurs as it is reabsorbed into peritubular capillaries. However, urea doesn't always stay put. It doesn't just be reabsorbed once and then doesn't return. It has a lot of transporters and is fairly soluble, andt has that molecule hard to kind of hold on to as we see here. Urea then can enter the tubule around the hairpin loop, or around the thick, thin ascending limb. It travels up the thick ascending limb, the cortical collecting duct, the cortical tubule and the inner medullary tubule, and then can be recycled. So this whole process is regulated at the cortical tubule level by arginine vasopressin or antidiuretic hormone. Thus, only about 40% of the urea is actually excreted. The other 60% just cycles around in this particular process. That is one of the reasons why we measure urea in the blood...

    About the Lecture

    The lecture Urea Cycle and Collecting Duct by Thad Wilson, PhD is from the course Renal Physiology.


    Author of lecture Urea Cycle and Collecting Duct

     Thad Wilson, PhD

    Thad Wilson, PhD


    Customer reviews

    (1)
    5,0 of 5 stars
    5 Stars
    5
    4 Stars
    0
    3 Stars
    0
    2 Stars
    0
    1  Star
    0